Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Getting a lot done!

So again i have a ton of photos for the blog update.  I figure people like pictures more than me blabbing about things.  General overview is i have extended the bow about 1.75 inches using a trick from the PDX boys.  Finished the bunks installed the chain plate gussets and have carbon on the keel.  

I used the cutoffs from the original stem flipped them over glued them together then glued them on the bow.  I measured my boat and realized i was just about 2 inches short of the max class rule.  So why not make the bow pointer and the boat a bit longer. 

I made little blocks with screws in them and hot glue to attach them to the hull in order to hold the stem to the bow. 

A bunch of lead from a job site.  This was left over from 132,000 lbs of lead they installed i wish they had been a few thousand lbs off not just 260.  Using this to make another bulb for a buddy of mine for another boat.  

Bunks are ready to be installed. 

My laser battery was dead so i used string like crazy to get my chain plates in the right spot. 

Here is a PDF of the measurements for the chain plate gussets for the C-Tech rig. 

The chain plates point at the mast base so once you get your measurements just use string that goes from the the Frame corner to the mast base and use that as your angle line. 

Using Popsical sticks to hold everything straight :) 

Fillet is done.  Carbon is also on now just no picture of it. 

I added carbon to the trailing edge to hopefully make it stronger and less prone to chipping when i am raising and lowering it in the sleeve. 

Keel Fared and ready for carbon. 

Carbon cut and ready to go on. 

I put one layer over the front and one on each side below.  This was simply because i didn't have one big enough piece to do it. 

Boom keel is a brick shithouse now.  I have 5 layers of 10oz uni on each side and one layer of i believe 10oz woven around the outside.  

So just a little info on my bow sprit design.  Here are some drawings my friend from NEB drew up.  Sorry about the dim light and camera photo he drew these and took photos when he has no power during Sandy. 

Basically we are building an arched carbon foam track 27 inches from the pivot point at the back of the stem  Then a Deleon car and track mounted to pull the back of the sprit side to side.  Then in the bow we will have a two collars one being oval shape opening that mounts to the hull of the boat and the other will have a round opening just enough for the sprit that will nest inside of the one mounted in the hull and hopefully stop most of the water from entering the boat.  I am also building a false floor in from the stem to frame 18 with drain holes on each side so any water that does come in drains out That was also stolen from the PDX guys. 

1 comment: