Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Keel Bulb Mold

I have poured half of my mold for my keel bulb last night and i will try to explain my thought process in the bulb build and mold so far.


After making the foam plug and covering it in bondo i cut up some manila folders and marked lines on the mold so i could see if i had it at least near to the shape i wanted.  One change i would make when doing this is make the foam smaller than the finish shape.  When i would fair the bondo down i would start sanding thru and hit foam and this turned into a big issue trying to get the correct shape.  Also i made my finish product slightly larger than what it should be so i have room to work with the lead bulb and get that to the exact shape i want.  Its better to be to heavy than to be to lite.

This is the place i found the sections for the plug shape.  About half way down the page.
http://www.i550.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=2&func=view&catid=7&id=502



Finiished plug after 30 hours of fairing.


This is the Concrete i used.  I chose mortar because it has no stones in it and its pretty smooth.  I am concerned with the streingth.  Time will tell.


Plug in the box we build for the mold.  nothing fancy here just a box built out of 2x4's and plywood.



My buddy Matt spreading out the motar


Here is the first half of the mold poured.  I added the two light bulbs in the mold to make alignment holes.  Now when i pour the top half it will make the negative of the hole from the bulb then when i put the two halves back togeather they should align nicely. I still need to put a thin layer of plastic down after this hardens and pour the top half with a pour hole and two vent holes.  That will hopefully be done later this week.



A few more pics.





Hour Count- 5
Total Hours so far-80
Beer - 5
Total Beer - 21

No comments:

Post a Comment